About three months ago I drafted a circle skirt from instructions I found on the internet. It was to make a Dirndl inspired skirt to take with me on our trip to Germany. Alas, I did not have enough fabric, so I put the pattern aside. I recently pulled it out and decided it would be great for a fall midi length skirt. After all, this length seems to be the rage right now. I can see wearing it with Mary Janes or boots.
Here is the website I found the instructions for for the circle skirt. It is so simple as it figures out the measurements for you! http://byhandlondon.com/pages/circle-skirt-app
I did add 4" to the hem because the original thought was to go to the knee, but as I want this to be midi length...
I then decided I might like pockets in the side seam. So, I went to a pattern I recently made and borrowed the pocket piece. As you can see, I slightly altered the piece for comfort when I slide my hand into the pocket.
I made sure to match the plaid for the pocket piece (even …
This is one of the most comfortable little jackets I have ever made. It is made by lining a cotton outer fabric with a cotton lining. Essentially, it is made by cutting two identical jackets and slipping one inside the other and then adding a bias trim to all the raw edges.
It is a little more complicated than that, but only in that there is a back and front yolk and a welt pocket, but only on the outer jacket. I will probably only wear the darker side out, anyway.
(I wish I had interfaced not only the pocket opening,
but also the bias strips that make the welt.)
I love the finished look of the bias binding attached with a colored zig-zag thread!
One of the two changes I made was to add buttons and button holes. It just seemed like the jacket needed them this time. Because I am tall, I added width across the upper back and lengthened the body and sleeves by 1".
I will definitely be making this again in a fun summer color like lime green. It's always cold indoors in Texa…
Love this new casual top from Butterick. It is not a new pattern, but the style is pretty new. It combines an on grain upper with a bias lower part. I used a lightweight tan plaid shirting. It is soft, but with a little bit of body.
You can see the lightweight fusible interfacing adds just the right amount of stiffness to help the collar stand up without being rigid.
Tip: I topstitched the collar edge ever so slightly rolling the seam toward the under collar before topstitching.
Finally, I had to rip out the bust dart a couple of times. The one on the pattern is so short, about 2 inches long, and really big. So, I had to rip out the dart and re-pin it while I was wearing it. I ended up lengthening it about 2 more inches so it landed 1 inch away from the bust apex. After I sewed it, I kept getting awful points at the end of the dart! So I started researching why this was happening. Apparently, because the dart was so wide, and straight, and pointed to the wrong apex, it was…